Monday, May 28, 2007

The Adventure Begins

I find myself apologizing once again for the time that has passed since last I wrote- but in my defense, as weak as it might be, I've put a binder on another boat, packed Inertia for shipping, gone for training in Covington, KY and Oldsmar, FL for a week each, sold my house, and a million other things (including, of course, the odd party).

I was hoping to have some photos of Inertia being loaded for shipment, but, alas, the shipper has, apparently, not been able to make his target.... Inertia was supposed to be in Wisconsin by today, Memorial Day 2007. I'm wondering if she will get there by Labor Day. Still, Inertia's all packed to go.

Cory, Ray, and LeighThis brings me to a point that never ceases to amaze, amuse, and cheer me. As a boater I know that my friends stand by to help with anything - as I do for them. That is almost a truism. However, the kindness, interest, and helpfulness of strangers continually surprises me! Also, the curiosity of people. If there is anything going on in a boatyard, no matter how trivial or how esoteric, boaters will stop by, help, kibitz, question, offer opinions, and generally mess about.

A Mast PackedCase in point is wrapping Inertia's mast for shipping. My friend Leigh had offered to help - making the job simpler and much faster. As we were working people stopped by to watch for a few minutes - but halfway into the job, Ray, an American born Aussie, stopped by to ask about a rigger (he was looking at a Prout Catamaran), and stayed to help finish the job. Then Cory showed up and we all went to lunch! What could have been an onerous job turned out to be a lovely morning of camaraderie and light work. And a pretty good lunch!

The new boat I'm in contract for is a 1978 Pearson 424 that has been lovingly maintained and upgraded. Although the installed equipment is pretty standard, the engine is new and has about 500 hours on it, and the hull has been stripped of gelcoat below the waterline and had fiberglass reinforcing installed to fix the spots where the hull is known to 'oil can' and then barrier coated. The standing rigging has been all replaced, and the cabinetry has all been re-done.

Nevertheless, there are a bazillion projects on my list to do, including new instruments and an autopilot that's independent of the Monitor windvane.

The sea trial is on June 1, so there will be some new things to report! It's exciting!

My friend Lou has just purchased a 35 foot Freedom. It's a well built and extremely easy to sail boat with a self tending jib and a huge main raised with an electric winch. It seems to be a solidly made boat, with a great deal of thought going into the layout and equipment. I hope to get some more time on her to really sail her hard!

More later. If all goes well I should have the 424 by mid June! I'm so excited! Then I hope to see you all on the water!

1 comment:

Zen said...

Fair winds Capt!
we'll be waiting fro the reports.