Thursday, October 05, 2017

Finally, the Chesapeake!

Here I am at the Castle Harbor Marina on Kent Island, MD.  It's a lovely not-so-little marina that's well protected. It's really easy to get into with a jetty protected channel that reveals itself as you line up on it. 

On site there are two restaurants - a pub and a sushi place.  I can attest that the sushi place is both popular and good. 

But, you're asking, how did I get here?

You'll remember the engine issue.  I figured all the replacements would do the job, and truthfully, in calm waters the next afternoon I left to transit the C & D Canal.  Reverie had left earlier and indicated they'd anchor behind Reedy Island just south of the eastern canal entrance.

In calm water with little breeze, the engine ran fine - stumbled once or twice but nothing continuing.  Done and dusted, I thought.  After anchoring and puttering around for a while, it was bed time.   Sadly, because neither Reverie or I had dinghy or motor we couldn't get together for cocktails.  A sad moment, to be sure.

Turkey Point exiting C&D Canal
The next day, I left around 7:30 am to get the current, mostly, through the canal.  It turned west around 9 or so and off to the races!  I was anchored in Turner Creek on the south side of the Sassafras River below Ordinary Point (which really is very ordinary, but still, I'd think a better name could have been come up with.  I suppose there's a story somewhere.)  In theory, there was a place I could sneak into to tie up to and visit the park.  But too shallow. 

Anyway, anchor down, cocktail in hand, evening to enjoy.  But the interesting thing is that the engine ran faultlessly.  

The next morning, I headed in to anchor near Georgetown, MD to meet with an old friend, Jim Affleck.  His ferry is a rather powerful jet ski.  As he was occupied until lunch time we went off to the local place, Twinny's for some good, inexpensive food.  Apparently there was a cheaper place but they closed.  Given the town of Galena is literally 300 feet by 300 feet it's surprising there were two to begin with.

Anyway, we both ate a hearty lunch for $25 including tax and tip!  My kind of place.


The day continued with no small amount of vodka and various mixers, including my friend, Ken's, special drink - vodka, tonic, blueberries and lime.  Very refreshing on a warm day.  Dinner at The Granary right at Jim's marina. Not bad.  It was, I must say, a very pleasant day spent in good company.  Thanks, Jim!

Wednesday came and the plan was to end up at Castle Harbor Marina (remember that?) to meet another friend. 

Motoring down the Chesapeake all was going well until the engine started to die again.  There was a great deal of swearing.  Surprised?  Don't be.  While the engine is running sort of I took the cover off and see big air bubbles coming through the Racor filter.  It happens, apparently, when the fuel tank is half full (or empty depending on your bent).  I tried adding fuel to see if that helped.  No.  It didn't.

More swearing.  I'm basically drifting in the middle of the Chesapeake whilst trying to manage this issue.  There is nothing to do but take fuel from a 5 gallon jug and returning it there. The new fuel pump will pump 5 gallons out in less than an hour.  But it's enough to get to the marina and fuel up the main tank, which I do.

The afternoon and this morning (Thursday, October 5) are spent trying to find a leak - I removed the pickup (no leak) check the hose to the Racor.  Reseat the lid.  Run engine, no air leak.  So for now that's done.  I think there was a leak at the top of the tank but I can't explain it.  If not, I'll know in about 40 hours.

Well, more adventure to follow!





No comments: